Random thoughts on most things from A. M. Craig.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Seasonal Warmth

Every year the Christmas season seems to lay in wait and surprise me
like a birthday party I wasn't told about. The signs have been
everywhere, literal and figurative. The Christmas displays go up at
department stores immediately after Thanksgiving. But even that doesn't
seem to tip me off. It's other things, signs more organic and unplanned.
Like the other day, I was walking home from school, and a guy behind me,
walking the same direction, started playing Chistmas hymns on a
harmonica. And after we put up the Christmas tree that Dan and Justin
harvested, I walk into our living room, and the smell of fir filled my
head. Then last night, when I went to the grocery store, who was there
greeting people but ol' Klause himself, red jumpsuit, full beard, and
little spectacles. It was good to see him there.

It's almost the end of the year. Another year. The adage of being wiser
is debatable in my case. In some ways it was a unique year, and in many
ways quite similar to the others I've had.

So a happy Christmas season to any and all reading this. Hope I get to
see most of you soon. And I hope that despite the cold and snow, you
find reason to feel warm.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

im have a "cookies and milk with santa" party and you are so invited.

austinmcraig said...

Deal. I'm there.