Random thoughts on most things from A. M. Craig.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Demon Barber

Did I mention I saw Sweeney Todd at the Egyptian Theater the night before Halloween?

I'd only ever heard about it from friends, and was under the impression it would be a black comedy. Black it was, though lacking in comedy. Very dark. An excellent performance, no doubt, but not exactly what I had expected.
If you're not familiar with the story, a film adaptation will be released near Christmas featuring the winning combo of Tim Burton (whom I've mentioned before) and Johnny Depp (whom I have also mentioned before). If you're looking for a point of reference, see Sleepy Hollow. Same period, same actor and director, same excess of blood.

To be honest, I probably won't be seeing it. The stage play was enough gore for me.

No comments: