Random thoughts on most things from A. M. Craig.

Friday, October 26, 2007

The Best for the Job

I'm not as politically active as I'd like. I'd like to make time to volunteer for my candidate of choice, and really search out the candidates and issues so that I know exactly what I'm talking about. But to be frank, I don't have, or rather, haven't set aside the time to do so. I have a life, and a busy one at that. So, while my knowledge isn't exhaustive, I have tried to understand the various candidates in this expansive race for the U.S. Presidency, and there is one I would choose above the rest without hesitation. I support Mitt Romney not because we share a common faith, any more than that faith has shaped him as a person, because it is Mitt Romney the Man, not Romeny the Mormon, that I support completely. His traditional values, fiscal responsibility, and genuine desire to serve are what impress me. And he is just so darned capable. There is a reason he has gone from being somebody you'd never heard of in 2000 to a prime candidate for arguably the most powerful position in the world. He looks like a president, for crying out loud. He is carismatic, funny, charming, and while you may try to claim that image doesn't really matter in the Presidency, I would flatly refute that. Image matters more now than ever. I think Mitt Romney has a spotless image, and I think he can keep it that way, because that's who he is. It's not an act.
Anyway, I'm ranting. If you'd like a fuller expanation to why I like him most, read this letter from Mark DeMoss. I'm not an Evangelical Christian, so I can't say I was familiar with DeMoss before reading this, but I agreed with virtually everything he said.

1 comment:

Mary said...

http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9441455

If you don't have time to read this just scroll down to the graph on the bottom. I think you'll enjoy it.