Random thoughts on most things from A. M. Craig.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Review: House of Flying Daggers


I watched House of Flying Daggers on our kickin' home theater last night. The review is...well...brief.

It was made by some of the same people who did Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Hero. In my uneducated opinion...they're all the same movie.

Okay, I know that's not literally true, but the genre holds so true-to-form, that they are almost indistinguishable. They even have the same actors. They are forlorn soldier love story tragedies from ancient China. Pretty specific. And to a person as unacquainted with the history and culture as I am, and with such a similar story structure, and consistent (pristine, amazing) aesthetic, they look like the very same movie, done three times. That's perfect, if you're really into ancient Chinese soldier tragedies. But like I said, my ignorance is pretty limiting.

It is undeniably beautiful, though. They pay close attention to color and framing. If you're in the market for a pretty movie, check this one out. If you didn't really like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, or Hero, I wouldn't recommend the rerun.

No comments: