Random thoughts on most things from A. M. Craig.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Redefining Plagiarism

I suppose we could call it homage, in a respectful French sense. Those wacky folks over at BYUSA have put together this most inspiring piece of work to persuade students to be more overtly kind/neighborly on campus. Thats nice and all, but I'm not sure I'm going to start talking to strangers. However, please note:

This ad was ripped off. Ripped clean off from another commercial. This commercial.

It's one of my favorite ad campaigns. It pulls me in like a sucker every time, it's just so poignant and sappy. Very effective, and interesting storytelling (David Bordwell talks about it here). So how could I miss a stright up copy?

Thematically identical, exactly the same execution, full circle story. The differences are there, but the similarities are glaring.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I almost copied and pasted this post onto my blog (like I normally do) but then I noticed the title.

austinmcraig said...

By all means, feel free to use it. It's not stealing if you cite the author. Then it's "research".